Friday, March 7, 2014

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday to those of you who don't work in a hospital and have the weekend off.  Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.  But I'm not going to let working the weekend get me down.  I only have 6 more days of work before my vacation!!!  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a few days.  I know you are all anxiously awaiting my review of the Pepper Steak from Monday.  Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted all week!  Hmmm...  I guess I've been pretty busy this week.  Who knew?  Anyways, so the Pepper Steak was ok.  It was a little salty for my taste and Kevin didn't like the tomatoes.  Of course the children wouldn't even let a little piece pass their lips.  Those stinkers!  And like the macaroni and cheese, we really didn't think this was any easier or any tastier than a similar recipe I make without using the crock pot.  So after some discussion at the dinner table, Kevin and I decided to put this in the "not again" pile.  Kind of disappointing.

Ok, so that covered Monday.  Now on to Tuesday.  Tuesday night we had Easy Crockpot Beef and Potato Meal.  It was super easy to pour together in the crock pot and cooked for a nice 6-8 hours.  But unfortunately, it was very bland.  We had to add salt and cheese to it to make it palatable.  And even then the hash browns were really mushy, almost more like mashed potatoes.  It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great, either.  And, of course, neither of my children would eat it.  I hate to say it, but I had to put this one in the "not again" pile as well.  I'm starting to get a little discouraged about all the things I'm discarding.

Even with taking leftovers for lunches every day, we were still being overrun by them, so we decided to eat leftovers for dinner on Wednesday.  And then my husband very thoughtfully got rid of the rest of the leftovers by accidentally forgetting them at my mother's house.  But I guess I can't complain too much since he did spend his entire day fixing my mother's broken pipes.  Thanks, honey.  You are the best!  Thursday night we had a much needed date/game night with our friends.  We ate junk food and played games and chatted till much past my bedtime.  We had a blast!  I didn't even regret it when my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning.  Although I did hit snooze 4 or 5 times.  I made a delicious brownie batter dip and some homemade graham crackers for dessert.  I have never made graham crackers before, but they were relatively simple, and delicious!  The people I work with were making fun of  me for making graham crackers until I brought the leftovers in today and they tasted them!  Then they were asking me for the recipe!  :)  I know these aren't crock pot recipes, but just in case any of you are wondering, here are the recipes for the Brownie Batter Dip and Homemade Graham Crackers.  You should try them out, they are amazing together!  This summer I am planning to try my hand at homemade marshmallows as well and make my own homemade s'mores!  Who wants to come try them out with me?

We are still plugging away at the yogurt.  I've been taking it for breakfast at work, and I must agree with the children.  It is yummy!  I am hoping to make some homemade granola this weekend to go along with it.  I've been making homemade granola bars for a couple of years now, but this will be my first go at granola.  

My very helpful husband put our dinner in the crock pot for me this morning, since I was running a tad late for work.  He chose Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup.  This is one of the few recipes for this month that we have made before.  I found this awesome website, A Year of Slow Cooking a while back.  She has a ton of crock pot recipes on there.  I thought this looked like something that my children would eat.  Potatoes, hamburger, and Velveeta - What's not to love??  My children actually weren't here the one other time I have made this recipe, but the hubs and I really enjoyed it.  We will see how the littles react to it  

Speaking of, I should probably get off here and get some work done on this house before my wonderful father-in-law brings the little tornadoes home.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  We are actually supposed to be getting some warmer weather, so I'm hoping the kids can go outside and run a little of their crazy off.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment