Tuesday, March 11, 2014

When the plan doesn't go as planned...

Sometimes the plan does not go as planned.  This has been my life the last several days.  I just can't seem to get on a blogging schedule this month.  And it's just going to get worse since I only have 3 more days until vacation!  Woo Hoo! 

The last time we chatted, I had Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup simmering away.  I must say that I thought it was just a delicious this time as I did the first time I made it, but unfortunately the kids would not even try it.  I don't know what is wrong with them.  I'm certain that if I could have gotten a bite past their stubborn lips, that they would have enjoyed the cheesy goodness just as much as I did.  But, alas...  My lovely in-laws stayed for dinner and both expressed delight in the meal.  That being said, I am going to call this recipe a win as well. 

Saturday was practically a holiday for me.  I had to work during the day, but I had the house to myself for the entire evening!  To myself!  All by myself!  As in there was not another living soul in my home until 10:30 when hubby got home from work.  No one screaming.  No one clinging to my leg as I tried to pee.  No one!  It was bliss!  Bliss, I tell you!!!  I spent the first half hour just trying to decide what I was going to do with this rare evening to myself.  Clean?  Read a book in peace?  Take a nice quiet bath?  Watch a movie that wasn't animated?  Go to bed at 6pm?  The possibilities were endless!  In the end, I did a little computer work, set a timer for 45 minutes and tackled a corner of the overly cluttered bedroom, watched a little TV while I ate dinner, took a nice, hot soak in the tub (while reading a book in peace), and turned in around 8pm after a good night chat with my muchkins on the phone.  Who says you can't have it all?  It's a good thing I got a chance to refresh a little on Saturday, because I sure needed it to deal with Sunday.  What was for dinner, you ask?  Teriyaki Chicken.  I don't have a link or a recipe for this one because it literally consisted of just putting frozen chicken in the crock pot and pouring a little teriyaki sauce over it.  Easy peasy!  It was pretty tasty as well.  I will probably make it again.  Next time I will make some fried rice to go with it.  Since it was just me at home, I didn't bother on Saturday.  But it was still yummy.  It will go into the "save" pile.

Sunday night was a busy, traumatic one in our household.  It started out innocent enough, with Crockpot Chicken and Noodles.  I very much enjoyed this recipe.  With a little coaxing, A actually ate it! He kept telling me it was yummy and even tried to convince his sister to try it.  But she was having none of it.  I am still putting this in the WIN pile.  It was a bit bland, next time I will add a little onion to the chicken to see if that will liven it up a tad.  Of course, Austin probably won't like it then.  After dinner, little E had two seizures, one of which was way worse than her "normal" seizures.  I have a call in to the neurologist to see if we can figure out what's up with that.  Then after we put her to bed, A and I were making soft pretzels for an after work snack for daddy.  When I pulled the pretzels out of the oven, I knocked the thermometer that hangs off the oven rack down.  So with the pan in one hand, I picked the thermometer up and tossed it up onto the stove.  I turned around to put the pan on the cooling rack and A apparently picked up the thermometer.  His scream was awful!  The oven was set on 475 degrees, so he burned his poor little hand pretty badly.  Luckily, Kevin gets off early on Sundays and was already on his way home.  We determined that an ER visit wasn't warranted, but A spent two solid hours crying.  It was very late for all of us by the time we got him calmed down and asleep.  Then I had a good cry before I went to bed.  My heart just hurt for him so bad!  And of course there is all the mama guilt.  If only I had set it further back on the oven.  Or made sure to tell him how hot it was.  He's usually so good about staying away from the oven.  It's E that I've worried about doing something like this.  He seemed much better yesterday, but his hand looks awful.  Luckily, I was off work since I worked the weekend.  So we packed up and off to the doctor we went.  We didn't even get anything into the crock pot before we left.  For shame!  Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches, you know?  The doctor gave us a prescription for burn cream and bandaged his hand up real good (which he was NOT happy about) and told us that when the blisters pop we will have to bring him back in to have it debrided.  That's just a fancy word for cutting out all the dead skin.  Ick!  It makes my stomach flip just thinking about it!!!  I am not looking forward to that part.  I wish that I could take it from him.  But all I can do is hold him while he cries and pray, pray, pray.  If you're the praying type, we could really use some extra ones in the coming days.  Thanks!

So like I already said, we didn't manage to get a crock pot meal going yesterday, but we are back on track today.  I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight.  This is a recipe I have made several times before and I love it.  Crock pot Chicken Fajitas! Again, I don't have a link or a recipe.  Your just cut up your peppers and onions, put them in the bottom of your crock pot with your chicken on top.  Then pour a packet of fajita seasoning on top of the chicken and turn it on low.  The chicken makes a lot of its own liquid.  When I get home, I take the chicken out and shred it, adding as much of the juice back as I think it needs.  I keep the peppers and onions separate because they're not liked by all in my household.  Gather up the other fajita fixings - cheese, sour cream, beans, rice, tortillas - and dinner is done!  It is so good, even the kids eat it!  Usually...  We will see how it goes tonight.

Anyways, I hope you have all had a less traumatic couple of days than we have.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'm going to go heat up my leftover Chicken and Noodles for lunch now.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment