Monday, March 3, 2014

The March of the Crock Pot

Welcome to day 3 of the March of the Crock Pot!  Things have been going along swimmingly around here if you don't count the large amount of winter precipitation that we received over the weekend and that it is now looking like my hubby may have to have surgery.   But if we can overlook those two insignificant details, and focus on the Crock Pot March, then everything is going great!  

Last night we had Beans and Rice.  They were very easy to put together, although they do require a little more forethought as the beans have to be soaked overnight.  This recipe also takes the longest to cook out of any of the ones that I have planned for this month.  It has to cook for 10-12 hours.  And even though you just throw them in the crock pot and let them cook, I will tell you that this was not an easy time for me.  I usually use crock pot meals on days that I am going to be at work all day.  I come home and not only is dinner done, but the house smells amazing!  Win, win!  Well, the one exception would be when you are actually home all day.  These beans smelled amazing from the time that I put them into the crock pot!  The cilantro and rotel... Yum! It was torture smelling that for 10 hours and not being able to taste it.  By the time it was finally done, I think I was completely out of saliva from salivating all day long.  And I was so excited to try it that I completely forgot to take a picture of it.  Oops!  I guess I'm not used to this whole blogging thing yet.  You'll just have to take my word on it, I suppose.  Or better yet, click this link Beans and Rice and try it yourself!  I topped mine with just a little cheese, Kevin used cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce.  The kiddos wouldn't even try it.  Oh well, more for me!  :)  I am definitely putting this recipe into my dinner rotation.  Easy, cheap, and delicious!!!

There is already one unforeseen draw back to my March of the Crock Pot.  It is only day 3 and I am already out of tupperware.  My fridge is full of delicious left-overs all ready for work lunches, but I don't have any to put tonight's in.  First world problems, I know.  I guess I will be picking up some new tupperware on my way home from work tomorrow.  It would probably also help if I could get a certain someone to bring home the ones from their work...

An update on my crock pot yogurt.  Unfortunately, it did not thicken up in the fridge like I hoped that it would.  But that does not seem to deter my kids at all.  This morning they ate it without granola and seemed perfectly content to slurp it (very loudly) through a straw.  They have already gone through nearly a third of the batch in three days.  I think I will be making this recipe again.  I need something nutritious and cheap to feed my picky kiddos.  This yogurt fits the bill.  High in protein and high in fat content needed to get a little meat on my skinny kids bones (oh, if only I had that problem!).  

What do I have going in the crock pot for dinner tonight, you ask?  Pepper Steak  It certainly smells good, so I have high hopes for it.  Check back in a day or two to see how it turned out.  Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great evening, if you're someplace cold like me, stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment