Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday!  Today is day 3 of our 31 day spending fast.  So far we have managed to go 2 whole days without spending a penny.  Yay!  Only 29 more days to go.  :)

I have already had some disappointments though.  Apparently, I didn't think this all the way through when chosing January as the month to do this.  Yesterday I received coupons from a couple of shoe stores for $10 off my purchase of shoes in January as their birthday gift to me.  But unfortunately, since I don't think they have any shoes for less than $10, I will not be able to utilize these coupons.  It nearly killed me, but I threw them in the trash right away, so that I wouldn't be tempted to rationalize the purchase.  I have to admit that I am a little bit proud of myself.  :)  Maybe I can cultivate this feeling to be better than the feeling of buying something new.  Instead of getting a high from buying something, I could get my high from knowing how much money I am saving! 

We are also going to have to go to the grocery store today.  We are out of milk, eggs, and bread.  I took an inventory of everything in our freezers and pantry and used this list to make our meal plan for the next couple of weeks.  As I went, I made a small list of things that we need to pick up.  We are also going to make a point of writing down the price of each item that we purchase so that we can become informed on what we are spending our money on.  We are really bad about just putting whatever we want/need in the cart without even looking at the prices.  I have modified my shopping list to include a place to write each item's price.  We will use this information to write up our new budget at the end of the month.  This will also keep up from being completely shocked at the total when we get to the register. 

I am going to go to Kohl's this afternoon as well.  We had to buy my husband some nice clothes for his new job (Congratulations honey!) last month and earned $20 in Kohl's cash.  I am going to use this money to buy the kids some much needed new socks.  Poor E only has 4 pairs of socks that fit her!  And A has nearly worn holes in all of his socks.  I will definitely keep the total under the $20 so I won't be spending any money, but still getting something we need.  Score!

Well, I think that's about all I have for this morning.  I hope you each have a beautiful day! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I feel your pain regarding those shoe coupons but I am so proud of you for ridding yourself of the temptation. The grocery store should be an adventure today. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete